cgm-392x72

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

The Lower 48: rounding out the top 100 from TGC's DC survey


Since some of the comments on TGC's top 52 list mentioned other characters with strong showings, here are the rest of the top 100, with the number of first-place votes in parentheses.

53. The Sandman (Wesley Dodds) (2)
54. Robotman (Cliff Steele)
55. Harley Quinn (Harleen Quinzel)
56. Green Lantern (Kyle Rayner)
57. The Shade (Richard Swift)
58. Wonder Girl/Troia/Darkstar (Donna Troy)
59. Amanda Waller
60. Wildcat (Ted Grant)
61. The Creeper (Jack Ryder) (2)
62. Deadshot (Floyd Lawton)
63. Ambush Bug (Irwin Schwab)
64. Ra's al Ghul
65. Sgt. Frank Rock
66. Mary Marvel (Mary Batson)
67. Beast Boy/Changeling (1) (Garfield Logan)
68. Death of the Endless
69. Krypto
70. Jimmy Olsen
71. Firestorm (all combinations)
72. Brainiac
73. Gorilla Grodd
74. Metamorpho (Rex Mason)
75. Brainiac 5 (Querl Dox)
76. The Riddler (Edward Nigma)
77. Etrigan the Demon (Jason Blood)
78. Raven
79. Deadman (Boston Brand)
80. Superboy (Kon-El/Conner Kent) (1)
81. Speedy/Arsenal (Roy Harper)
82. Starfire (Koriand'r)
83. Supergirl (Kara Zor-El)
84. Crazy Jane (Kay Challis)
85. Mister Mxyzptlk
86. Batgirl (Cassandra Cain)
87. Sue Dibny
88. Supergirl (Linda Danvers)
89. The Huntress (Helena Bertinelli)
90. Starman (Ted Knight)
91. Wonder Girl (Cassie Sandsmark)
92. Hourman (Rex Tyler)
93. Black Lightning (Jefferson Pierce)
94. Star-Spangled Kid/Stargirl (Courtney Whitmore)
95. The Spoiler/Robin (Stephanie Brown)
96. Big Barda (Barda Free)
97. Green Lantern (John Stewart)
98. Mister Mind
99. The Penguin (Oswald Chesterfield Cobblepot)
100. Manhunter (Paul Kirk)

Others receiving first-place votes included Azrael (Jean Paul Valley), Black Alice (Lori Zechlin), Vril Dox (LEGION), and PREZ (Prez Rickard), with one apiece.

Read More

9 Comments:

At 5/30/2006 12:04:00 PM, Blogger Steven said...

Huh, and the top 100 satisfies in a way the top 52 didn't. I have no idea what that means, but it feels interesting.

And fess up, who put Azreal as the best character DC published? No offense, I mean. I liked the character and bought his book through at least 75, but I'd like to see the argument that he's a better character than, say, Batman.

 
At 5/30/2006 12:41:00 PM, Blogger Jake said...

I must know. How many votes did Tyrannosaurus Reich get?

 
At 5/30/2006 01:01:00 PM, Blogger Matthew E said...

Raven! I should have voted for Raven. And if I had voted for Death, Dream and Delirium like I would have if I hadn't vapour-locked on the rules, Death might have cracked the top 50.

This section of the list revealed where Amanda Waller and Brainiac 5 ended up; good to know. This leaves John Henry Irons, Atom-Smasher and Gates as the characters highest on my list not to show up in the final results. Can't say I'm really surprised about Gates; neat character, but kind of an idiosyncratic choice by me.

I wonder if anybody at DC is interested in these results...

Have we thanked you enough for all this work yet? We have not. Thanks again for compiling all this stuff.

 
At 5/30/2006 01:40:00 PM, Blogger Tom Bondurant said...

Tyrannosaurus Reich was on two ballots.

Watching the ballots come in was pretty fascinating. After a while it was a race for third place, but the way the rankings were set up produced a fair amount of volatility, especially in the 30s-60s. Looking back, I think some kind of nominations process would have helped, especially with all the "I forgot about ____!" comments.

I appreciate the kind words. I had fun, and I'm glad you did too.

 
At 5/30/2006 03:02:00 PM, Blogger STBD said...

Yes, this does round up the loose ends nicely. Still no Psycho-Pirate, which saddens me, but I'll adjust.

How ironic. The absence of Psycho-Pirate saddens me...

 
At 5/30/2006 04:09:00 PM, Blogger Cap'n Neurotic said...

15 of my list made the top 52; another 17 made the "lower 48" So, 32 out of 100 ain't bad, right? Right? Although, the fact that 4 out of my top 10 didn't crack the top 100 (and one of those was a "stump the chump"er) decreases my joy a tad..

Still, a good time was had by all (even if Space Cabby did beat out all but two of my picks), so let me add my voice to the chorus of "thanks!" to Tom for all the hard work

 
At 5/30/2006 07:48:00 PM, Blogger Jake said...

I'm curious how the balloting would go today if we redid it and everyone could change their votes to reflect the "I can't believe I forgots."

 
At 5/30/2006 09:34:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This whole list has been fun, though the DCU is big enough that everyone has to have at least a couple how could you not vote for him/her> characters missing from the top 100. 4 of my top 10 didn't make top 100, with Helena Wayne leading the way at number 5.

We could probably each make a list of our top 200 and find our favorites missing from the group list.

 
At 5/30/2006 10:23:00 PM, Blogger STBD said...

As we type, someone at DC is pitching a Space Cabbie mini to Vertigo.

And someone on the other side of the table is silently thinking, "How can we work Cyclotron into this?..."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home